Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Democratic National Committee Slams McCain in TV Ads

There are two of them now. I have seen both of them aired on MSNBC. I assume Fox News won’t run them, but will never know because I am one of those people who don’t ever tune in Fox News because I don’t like to waste my time.

The DNC says that McCain is howling over this ad because it quotes him out of context. They say that McCain has threatened to sue TV stations if they air the piece so that pretty much decided it for me that I would embed the ad here.



I recognize that guy’s voice. I think it belongs to an actor named Stephen Tobolowsky. It has a very innocent quality. A perfect voice for someone who is just trying to understand why John McCain is promising Americans a US presence in Iraq for the next 100 years.

This ad was closely followed on by a slam on McCain’s domestic policies, or rather, his lack of them. It’s a play on Ronald Reagan’s famous and effective question to voters in 1980 when he asked, “Are you better off now than you were four years ago?” Brilliant, because then, as now, the country was in a severe economic downturn. This video takes some video clips of McCain from a while ago and runs then effectively with present-day reality.



The beauty of these clips is that it captures McCain’s voice just as he delivers it today. That calm analytical voice that always goes up a half a note on the final word or syllable.

It’s good to see these ads come out right now. What with Obama having to put up with the mainstream media (and Fox News) taking Wrighteous dumps on him, and Clinton stalking about challenging Obama to a “Lincoln-Douglas-style” debate (something nobody in this century would ever want to sit through), someone has to do their job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The voice is not Stephen Tobolowsky.

Hal said...

Hmmm. Sure sounds like him.

Anonymous said...

Hal,

Holy Moly how I love to hear both ads. And PLEASE,NO MORE DEBATES. I could listen to half of the last one before changing the channel.