Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Shelley Sekula “No Hyphen” Gibbs Has a Name Recognition Problem.

Here is a true story circulating around the Lampson campaign.

Veronica an 18 year old student volunteers to do phone banking at the Bay Area New Democrats headquarters in Clear Lake. The deal is, she either volunteers to work 25 hours on a campaign or she writes a term paper. So Veronica phone banks.

So she was working a call list yesterday, and phoned one of the numbers assigned to her. The following is a reconstruction, an approximation of the phone conversation.

“Hello?”

“Hello, my name is Veronica and I am a volunteer on the Nick Lampson campaign. Do you have a couple of minutes to hear about Nick’s positive message?”

“Why certainly, dear.”

“Well, Nick Lampson is running for congressman in our district. He founded the first-ever Congressional Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children, which worked to create the national Amber Alert program. When he was in congress, Nick served as the ranking member on the Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and fought hard for the resources NASA needs . . .”

“. . . .So can we count on your vote in November?”

“Well, I just want to let you know that I am glad to have used up your time and that I am a Republican. I am going to vote for Kelley.”

Click.

“Kelley?”

”Hey,” she called out to anyone in the room, ”Who’s Kelley?”

I just hope that this woman remembers how to spell Nick’s opponent’s (or one of them) name so she can get it right and show “voter intent”.

That’s Kelley with a “K”.

2 comments:

muse said...

So, you beat me to it without tripping me, breaking my leg, causing Sally to call 911 and me being in the emergency room right now.

People, the man keeps his promises.

Hal said...

I schemed with Monica. You and I were leaving together, but then she enticed you to stay moments longer. That was all it took.

High five, Monica. It worked. No muse bruises.