Friday, December 25, 2009

Feliz Navidad

What could be more fun than watching “White Christmas” played over and over again on cable television yesterday, and “A Christmas Story” played over and over again today?

Listening to gravel rattling around inside a hub cap comes to mind.

Visiting neoconservative websites is yet another alternative.

Today I broke with tradition and visited one. I don’t, as a rule, read their tripe and it makes me a better person for that. But today I was perusing Christmas articles on the web and came across a story in The Chron. Apparently someone made a parody of José Feliciano’s famous and even traditional Christmas song “Feliz Navidad.”

They called it “The Illegal Alien Christmas Song.” Catchy title, huh?

A link to the song was posted on the neoconservative website Human Events (I have not linked to it but you can find a link in the Chron article).

Feliciano heard about it and released this statement concerning this blatant racist act:

“Feliciano released a statement last week sayig that he was ‘revolted beyond words’ and that the song was never meant to be ‘a vehicle for a political platform of racism and hate.’”

“‘When I wrote and composed Feliz Navidad, I chose to sing in both English and Spanish in order to create a bridge between two wonderful cultures during the time of year in which we hope for goodwill toward all,’ the Puerto Rico-born singer said.”

The link stayed up for a couple of weeks and then the website editor, in a fit of realization of how truly nauseating the very idea of making a parody of this upbeat song that celebrates both Christmas and diversity, had a change of heart.

Or maybe he acquired one.

He took down the link and the song and issued an apology to Feliciano.

The apology is, however, not posted anywhere on the website. That would be too much to expect I think.

So that is my one foray into a neocon website for the year.

And now I need a shower.

Then maybe some eggnog while I watch Ralphie shoot his eye out for the 5th time today.

No comments: