Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy Blue Year!

Take a look outside tonight as you roll in the New Year.

That full moon you see up in the sky on the last day of 2009 will be blue.

It’s a Blue Moon.

But no. It will not look like the image I have posted here. No way. This image, I dare say, has been altered.

A blue moon, which is rare, which is why they say “once in a blue moon,” is the second full moon in a calendar month. The first full moon in December 2009 occurred on December 1st. The moon orbits Earth in 29 earth days, and so when it returns to its original position, on the next day, 30 days have passed and the moon’s phase is full again.

On December 31st.

It doesn’t happen that often, and it’s a sure bet that it doesn’t happen that often on the last day of the year. The last time the moon was blue on New Year’s Eve was December 31st, 1990.

That, in Half Empty years, was when the world was young.

I think that having a blue moon right now is a good omen. The moon (mostly) controls the tides and I think that the tide is turning. Things seem bad right now for Democrats, but if what is suspect is true, is true, then I think we are about to turn a corner.

I think we are now going to start filling in that hole that we have been digging for ourselves.

And I think that when push comes to shove, the people are going to see who has been doing all of the work to put this country back together, and who has been putting on the brakes all during that time.

The Grand No Party has made for us a lot of Independent voters and I don’t think they are going back anytime soon.

So that’s why I say, Happy Blue Year because I think, despite what the talking heads are saying, that is what we are going to have. Sure there are going to be knee jerk responses, and sure the Teabaggers are going to have their say, but I don’t think it is going to be nearly as bad as everyone is predicting.

I think 2010 is going to be bluer than anyone is saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pict.