Sunday, February 27, 2011

Charlie Howard Files Ron Reynolds’ Bill

I hate it when I am so right about something that is so wrong.

When I heard that freshman State Rep Ron Reynolds, whose campaign I have championed here despite the fact that he does not actually represent me by about 5 blocks, filed a bill to require ALL incoming college freshmen to be vaccinated for bacterial meningitis – not just the ones living in the dorms – I derided this exceptionally good idea.

Derided it because I knew that something like this was such a good idea that Republicans would surely vote against it. A very good bill inspired by a Democrat was going to fail as sure as the sky is blue and Texas is red.

So when State Rep Charlie Howard, R- Sugar Land, filed the exact same bill this week, I had to laugh out loud. What a snake. He knows that Ron Reynolds’ bill is a good idea, and also knows what I know, that it is doomed to failure because no Republican will give it his or her attention.

If I were to grade Charlie Howard’s latest effort, I would have to assign a zero grade to his work and write him up for plagiarism. His parents would be duly informed. Charlie Howard is guilty of intellectual piracy. Shame, shame on him.

The only good thing to come out of this is that Ron’s great idea will very probably get passed. The only bad thing to come out of this is that Ron will receive zero credit for it. Charlie Howard has seen to that.

Howard behaves exactly as a teacher’s worst student. Dumb as a stump but able to copy the answers from an excelling student’s exam to the letter.

Future students in Texas can learn from Charlie Howard. This is their future given the fact that they will be shortchanged of anything resembling a good education for the foreseeable future, given the budget cuts we are all expecting combined with imminent teacher layoffs.

You get what you vote for.

No comments: