Friday, July 08, 2011

Staying Awake and Alert on the Santa Monica Freeway

I have a short video clip  exhibiting the lengths one must go to to stay alert after hours and hours on the road. It is not a real reach, but it does take some getting used to. I still haven't gotten the knack for knowing when the CD is finished and has started on Track 1 again...

By the way, to we native Californians, Interstate Highway 10, or I-10 as it is affectionately known, is was, and will always be known as the Santa Monica Freeway. Not the Katy Freeway (TX). Not the Juan Seguin Highway (TX). Not the Pearl Harbor Memorial Freeway (AZ). Not the Atchafalaya Swamp Freeway (LA). Not the Ponchartrain Expressway. Not the Stephen Ambrose Memorial Highway (LA). Not the George C. Wallace Tunnel (AL). And, finally not, again as the Pearl Harbor Memorial Highway where it terminates in Jackson, Florida.
I-10 was the Santa Monica Freeway when all of those other routes were either non-existant or dirt roads. How do I know this?
LA invented freeways.

2 comments:

Greg said...

You are, of course, more than welcome to stay where they invented freeways. :)

And I say this as a native San Franciscan who loves Texas.

Hal said...

You are a SF native and love being in Texas? That's rich. Truth to tell you fit in in SF like a Number 8 screw fits into a Number 10 nut. Not at all. You and Texas deserve each other. And yes I'd stay here in a microsecond but I swore not to leave Texas until it had a gay governor. Oh... wait...