Friday, August 16, 2013

A Good Beginning...

So you know, if you've been reading this blog, how much I hate the 2nd Amendment. You know, the one that gun nuts from all quarters use to justify ownership of implements of mass destruction? It has been my contention that the 2nd Amendment is the only conditional article in the Bill of Rights. Conditional to the extent that having a well-regulated militia is necessary for the security of the nation, and that being the case, we should not interfere with the individual right to own firearms.
 
So we can defend the nation against invaders.
 
Like Nicaraguans.
 
And so we can issue corrections to our government should it become tyrannical.
 
Well in either case, what is required to repel a Nicaraguan invasion force, or overthrow a tyrannical government is serious armament. Serious, serious armament.
 
AR-15s are bush league. We need 50 cals. We need fully automatic machine guns.
 
We need mortars and anti-tank rockets.
 
We need the weaponry that any freedom fighter or defender would need against an invading army, or against our own.
 
Either that or the 2nd Amendment isn't worth the paper it is written on.
 
So imagine my surprise today to learn that New Jersey's governor, Chris Christie is apparently like-minded. When his state legislature passed a bill to outlaw the sale of 50 caliber sniper rifles to its citizens Chris Christie vetoed it in a blow for full 2nd Amendment rights.
 
If GI Joe (or GI Jane) can fire armor-piercing 50 caliber ammo at me and my comrades who are fighting them in the streets from behind barricades made of cars, baby buggies and shopping carts then it is my constitutional right to have equivalent ammo.
 
Chris Christie sees that.
 
Now all I need is my laser-guided TOW anti-tank missile system, my howitzer, and my Claymore mines. Chris Christie, are you ready to go to bat for me to get those things for me as well?
 
Oh, and don't forget the tactical nuke. Need one of those, too.

No comments: