Everyone is being magnanimous toward Mikal Watts for voluntarily dropping out of the race for US Senate from Texas. There are some out there who are offering up reasons for this startling news so I thought I would encapsulate them in this Lettermanesque top ten list.
Top Ten Reasons Why Mikal Watts Dropped out of the Senate Race
10. He became very upset at everyone always mis-spelling his given name. It’s spelled M-I-C-H-A-E-L.
9. He developed an infected toe and those things hurt if you have to walk all over the state of Texas.
8. He started calling his wife “What's-her-name”.
7. His financial advisor told him that if he had to settle for the Senate salary of $165,200 per year he’d be broke in 3 years.
6. His kids dialed 911 the last time he opened the front door at his own home without knocking.
5. It was the bloggers. The bloggers scared him off.
4. He contracted a really embarrassing STD.
3. It was the bloggers, We just know it was the bloggers.
2. He was recently seen in the company of a woman not his wife and when asked about it said “You mean that she wasn’t my wife? It sure looked like her!”
And the number one reason why Mikal Watts dropped out of the Senate race?
1. Who cares? Mikal Watts did a good thing for himself, his family and for everyone. I hear that he and Rick Noriega are going to work together to see that John Cornyn is not returned to the Senate in 2008.
Vaya con Dios, Mikal Watts.