Sunday, August 14, 2011

The DeChristification of Mitt Romney

I personally don’t have a dog in the hunt, but I have officially become curious to know why the heck people don’t think that Mitt Romney, because he is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints – a Mormon if you will - is not really a Christian.

It came to a head this afternoon when I saw this LA Times piece that reported that one of the Fox and Friends anchors, Ainsley Earhardt, just threw it out there as established fact that because Rick Perry was an evangelical Christian, and Mitt Romney was not a Christian, that Rick Perry stood to garner more funds from The Christian Coalition

I mean the point wasn’t even argued, and the belief that Romney is an unbeliever was merely used in an argument over how much money Rick Perry could gather over Mitt Romney.

So, OK, as I said I finally got curious and as I do every day, I Googled it.

I was amazed at the information that is out there.

And I was amazed at the lengths these Christians will go to nitpick another one’s religion.

Here is what I found out. To be a Christian you have to believe that there is only one god. You know, God. This, by the way, would qualify any Muslim or Jew to be a Christian. But actually, Christians believe that God has 3 different aspects all with their own names, you know, the Holy Trinity. Three aspects, but only one God.

But not Mormons. Mormons, they say, believe that there are multiple gods, hundreds of them. Jesus, they say, was conceived by God and some other goddess.

Now I don’t know if any of that is true, and again, I don’t really care one way or the other, but it does seem to be a little nitpicky considering all of the other things that you have to swallow to qualify you as a true believer. But I guess if you want Rick Perry to become the nominee, you have to be a little nitpicky, and to start by saying that Mitt Romney is “obviously not a Christian.”

No comments: