Monday, November 13, 2006

The Shelster Arrives, Swears, Has Two Jobs

So finally we are represented in Congress. What’s it been 5 months? As I write this our new congresswoman is taking her oath of office.

But I’m still a little confused.

Didn’t she say that she would resign her city council seat once her election is certified? Isn’t that going to be sometime this week? Like November 15th? So how do we have it that she is currently holding two elected offices at the same time?

I guess I shouldn’t quibble over a day or two, but still, if it was a Democrat doing this, we’d hear holy H-E double hockey sticks about it.

I’m not kidding about this. This is reality right now.

Here: click on this link and see her website for her new job.

Click on this link and see her website for her other job.

If you want still more confusion click here and read about our vacant house seat

(If you’re clicking past, say, this week 11/13-11/18 you are probably going to get at least one if not two broken links – I would hope).

Isn’t there some sort of natural law that is broken here? One politician can’t be in two places at the same time?

Anyway, just thought I would point that out.

And yes, I now have someone to call and email about the burning issues of the day.

Here’s the gist of my next communication to my congresswoman:

Dear Congresswoman Sekula-Gibbs

I hope you are settling in to your new job. I have a concern that I would like to share with you. As you are aware, House Joint Resolution 94 is coming up for a vote this week and I’d like to share my views on this bill. Joint Resolution 94 seeks to give special recognition to the Christmas Tree industry for employment of over 100,000 people, providing wildlife habitats and that these days, they bring in $1.4 billion in sheer profit.

I urge you, Congresswoman Sekula-Gibbs, to vote no to this exclusionary resolution. What about the Chanukah bush industry? What about the incense industry? These are also expendable articles of religious observance, but their contributions to the economy are being callously disregarded.

I urge you to vote no on HJR 94.

Hal at Half Empty

What do you think? Think Shel will vote my way?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting - she moved into Tom's old Congressional office. Hummm---- did they have it fumigated? No telling what manner of weird stuff Tom left behind.