Thursday, June 19, 2008

Obama Says No to Publicly Financed Campaigns, Yes to the Grassroots

Boy, is John McCain pissed. Barack Obama today formalized what the campaign has been hinting about since April. Obama has opted out of the publicly financed campaign option that cost him and his campaign $80 million in federal funds. McCain now has to decide whether they will opt in or opt out, although the word I get is that he has already done both at least once.

Obviously, the Obama campaign feels it can raise more than 80 mil.

But here’s the difference. The campaign has also said it will not accept PAC or lobbyist contributions. This is unprecedented. This is gutsy.

By saying “no” to federal finance, and “no way” to lobbyists and PACs, Barack Obama has limited his donor population to us. We, the people.



Now I don’t know about you, but I plan on getting some cash over to Barack Obama for his campaign. Maybe not the whole $2300, let’s get real, I’m a low-paid public employee, but I’ll do my part.

Now, will you?

No comments: