Thursday, February 18, 2010

Stack Attack

Well when I heard about how someone flew a Cessna into the IRS headquarters in Austin, the very same place that processes my income tax returns every year, I knew it was not a terrorist attack.

When I heard about the attack I simply said to whoever was in earshot, “Geez, the Teabaggers have a new tactic.”

Then, when I heard that the perpetrator of this crime was a guy named Joe Stack, a 53-year old white software engineer who had past issues with the IRS, I thought this definitely confirmed that suspicion

Then I heard he left a suicide note on a website.

A suicide note that was written over a 2-day period (although in the rant he says that it has been a project of many months) written in MS-Word with 27 revisions.

A suicide note with a couple of F-Word bombs in it, but otherwise the spelling was fairly good and Joe looked like he was a man who could turn a phrase when he wanted to. In other words, despite the errors in punctuation, Joe’s manifesto wasn’t the complete incoherent rant as you would expect to come out of the mouth of a true Teabagger. But he and Teabaggers do share some common sentiments nonetheless

The website has been taken down by the FBI but not until other websites picked up the text and posted it on theirs. At the moment at least, you can read the entire rant here.

But this paragraph from his rant that I pasted below betrays how disturbed this guy was, and how closely his ideology compares to the rhetoric that comes from TEA Party People and other radical right wingers who, say, wear T-shirts that suggest that the “…the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants”.

“I can only hope that the numbers quickly get too big to be white washed and ignored that the American zombies wake up and revolt; it will take nothing less. I would only hope that by striking a nerve that stimulates the inevitable double standard, knee-jerk government reaction that results in more stupid draconian restrictions people wake up and begin to see the pompous political thugs and their mindless minions for what they are. Sadly, though I spent my entire life trying to believe it wasn’t so, but violence not only is the answer, it is the only answer. The cruel joke is that the really big chunks of s--t at the top have known this all along and have been laughing, at and using this awareness against, fools like me all along.”

May his wife and daughter survive this thing with dignity and the compassion of people around them.

And may Joe Stack eternally burn in the fires of H-E-double hockey sticks.

No comments: