Wednesday, November 24, 2010

DeLay Gets Hammered: Guilty on Both Counts

Guilty, Guilty, Guilty
My former congressman Tom “The Hammer” DeLay now has a felony conviction on his criminal record. Just minutes ago the jury found Tom DeLay guilty of money laundering and guilty of conspiracy. For these crimes, Tom DeLay faces life in prison.

From the Austin American-Statesman:

“He faces a possible sentence of 5-99 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine on the money laundering charge, and 2-20 years in prison and a possible $10,000 fine on the conspiracy charge.”


How the jury went from being dumber than a bag of hammers asking the judge for a definition of “money fraud” to brilliant rocket scientists for seeing the truth in DeLay’s crimes, I’ll never figure out but I now have something to be thankful for tomorrow.

Now I don’t know if the judge will actually sentence DeLay to some time inside, I think it would be totally appropriate though. But whatever he decides it won’t be bad enough unless he also sentences DeLay to write personal letters of apology to every retired teacher in America who has been denied some or all of their social security, money that they worked for, because he sat on the bill to repeal the Windfall Elimination Provision year after year.

My prediction: 5 years, out in 2. I’ll take whatever I can.

“It is as expedient that a wicked man be punished as that a sick man be cured by a physician; for all chastisement is a kind of medicine.”

-Plato

No comments: