Thursday, September 12, 2013

2E6 Bikers

Two Million Harley-mounted bikers were supposed to show up in DC yesterday to mark the 12th anniversary of 9/11 (or nine one one, as Congresstwit Bachmann says). That's a two with six zeroes behind it. That's 2 x 10^6 or 2E6 in scientific notation shorthand.
 
And they ended up being about 1.999E6 short of their goal.
 
They applied for permits with the National Park Service to close some intersections around the capitol for their observance, but the NPS refused, citing the huge traffic snarls that might result, which in the end, was their intent.
 
And the bikers got their way anyway. An accident closed traffic lanes on the Outer Loop in Bethseda, causing traffic to back up for miles. Another rear-ended a pedicab.
 
I was wondering what the point of it all is, and I finally got my answer when I read this article at NBC. It seems that bikers fear change. Here's the quote:
"On their Facebook page, in all caps, the group said they will stand by the Constitution and Bill of Rights, adding that they're "against any fundamental transformation of America."
 
I know that 9/11 is a date to remember for the lives lost. But what has that got to do with opposition to transformational change that can and must happen in this country?
 
Could it be all tied in with the incipient transformational change of Obamacare which will go live in less than 3 weeks? I know it's subtle, and I know it's coincidental, but I really don't believe in coincidence.
 
Bikers Against Obamacare.

No comments: