Tuesday, January 01, 2008

It Finally Arrived: The Last Full Year of the Bush Regime

You might notice something new on this website. Over on the left, below my list of Campaigns that I support, I have my BUSHGONE countdown. It is set to count down to 11:59 A.M., January 20, 2009. In that last minute we will say a fond farewell to George W. Bush and all that he brought with him to make The United States of America a pariah nation in the worldview. A nation where the gap between rich and poor has steadily widened. A nation where more and more citizens are unable to secure for themselves the most basic in health benefits. A nation that leaves no child behind by failing to provide a quality education for the vast majority of them. A nation with a broken military.

Will we survive a year and 20 days? A leap year at that? At this point I don’t know. I don’t know if we can see this through to the end without some sort of wrong move by one who is arguably The Worst President . . . Ever.

Ronald Reagan comes to mind as he comes in close on to Dubya’s ranking, chiefly due to the now known fact that the man suffered from premature dementia, and is known for such idiotic sayings as

“The United Sates has much to offer the third world war.”

And

“A tree is a tree. How many more do you have to look at?”

But, there IS the one saying that exposes Reagan as a prophet for the Bush years:

“Of the four wars in my lifetime none came about because the U.S. was too strong.”

Fortunately for Reagan, he passed on before he could see those words go crashing down in flames as the Cheney/Bush War in Iraq became foisted on the American people, a war which has tragically weakened our country’s military. Unfortunately for us, we are living the lie that is the War in Iraq every day.

So let’s start off Bush’s last year of running our country into the ground with twelve of his most famous aphorisms or memorable quotes. One for each month left in the Bush Regime:

January: “I believe we are called to do the hard work to make our communities and quality of life a better place”.

February: “We ought to make the pie higher.”

March: “I've got a record, a record that is conservative and a record that is compassionated.”

April: “I’m the decider, and I decide what is best. And what is best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain a the Secretary of Defense.”

May: “See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.”

June: “I want to thank my friend Senator Bill Frist, for joining us today . . . He married a Texas girl, I want you to know, Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me.”

July: “There’s an old saying in Tennessee – I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee – that says, fool me once – shame on – shame on you. You fool me twice, you can’t get fooled again.”

August: “We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile.”

September: “America better beware of a candidate who is willing to stretch reality in order to win points.”

October: “This is an impressive crowd – the haves and the have-mores. Some people call you the elites. I call you my base.”

November: “Wow, Brazil is big!”

December: “Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to families who die.”

OK, a baker’s dozen, one for the 20 days of January: “I hope you leave here and walk out and say ‘what did he say?’”

384 days and counting. May they pass quickly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Worst president ever” – or ventriloquist act . . .

Anonymous said...

I think most of your candidate selections are great HE, except the lawyer backed by the developer special interest with 2 complaints filed against him with the state bar association and subsequent sanctions through 2010. I'm glad to see Nick gone from your list, but what about the above? Don't be a hypocrite any longer. Step across to the light!

Hal said...

Sorry but I guess I'll stay in the light of pro-choice and pro-stem cell research. I like my lefty candidates to agree with me philosophically.

I've listened to the candidate's explanation for the two state bar complaints and have accepted them as explained. At no time were ethics an issue.

And yes, Lampson is not going on the list until I see some movement off center on Iraq and FISA.