Monday, September 03, 2012

It's Labor Day Again

Happy Labor Day.
 
Here in Texas they call themselves, as do several other states in the Union, a "Right to Work" state, which means, of course, that labor unions need not apply. It's a euphemism, you see, for being a "Right to Fire You" state. In fact, one of the reasons I am living here is due to the fact that my ex-company was lured to the state because of its "business friendly" laws where employees have fewer rights and less recourse when the time comes for them to fire you.
 
So when I am out and about on Labor Day, driving through my 70% Republican development and I see the massive throngs of American flags lining the streets I am understandably cynical. These people have no idea what Labor Day is about or what it is we are celebrating. To them it's a day off, and a National Holiday.
 
To me, Labor Day means having child labor laws, a 40 hour work week, healthcare benefits, a safe workplace, and an organization standing ready and waiting for the day when management decides to make a reduction in force. During the most recent RIF in my school district, not one Union member lost his or her job.
 
Not one.
 
So here is to the labor movement. And may Scott Walker, governor of Wisconsin, one day need the life or death services of a union member.
 

No comments: