Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Road To Victory: Texas (Part Deux)

Part two of the DSCC’s video series on the coming Democratic victory in 2008 is out. In part 1 the DC videographer appeared in Fort Worth and starting asking around if anyone knew who John Cornyn was. It’s here if you missed it.

In part 2 of the series, she joins the Rick Noriega for US Senate campaign as they barnstorm around the state bringing the Democratic message to the voters.

Take a look.



Strangely silent at the first video from all I can see, up pipes reporter W. Gardner Selby (I always mistrust people who don’t like their first names enough to substitute it with an initial – what about “Butch” or “Skip"?) with a commentary. He has a running critique of the video here.

It’s a pretty laughable article, and you can get a pretty good idea of his fan club when you read the comments.

W. was first to jump on a Cornyn’s staffer’s observation on how Rick muffed the words to Deep in the Heart of Texas (or whatever the H E double hockey sticks that song is called). The thing that I can’t get my brain wrapped around is this: whether there is something, some cogent idea behind that remark. Is it that Rick is less of a Texan because of that? And when I think more of it, the lyrics make no sense either way you say them so what’s the big deal, anyway?

I’ll bet John Cornyn from here forward known as "JC", a baby boomer like me, doesn’t know the lyrics to the rock song that shaped our generation.

I’ll just bet.

Remember Louie, Louie?

Say, hey, JC, can you sing with me?

Ah Louie, Louie
Ohhh, no . . . JC’s gotta go
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Yes, it really goes like that.

Then our friend, W., goes after Rick because he stuffs a paper napkin into his shirt collar when he eats barbecue.

Now who is the true Texan, W.? How is one ever going to eat barbecue in public, especially when it is dripping with sauce, unless you stuff that napkin down your shirt? Or do reporters like to drip the sauce on their shirts so they have something to snack on later?

Heckfire, it makes it easy to wipe your fingers off if you have the napkin on your shirt – the way you’d do it at home – without a napkin.

More to the point: I’ll bet W., and John Cornyn for that matter, eat their barbecue with knives and forks.

And I’ll bet it goes right over their heads that I’ve just grossly insulted them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been a musician for 35 years and never had it requested. I think it is taught in 4th grade music, where we still have music in Texas Schools. Kenneth D. Franks
Democratic Candidate Texas House District 9.