Thursday, August 05, 2010

The President’s B-Day

Yesterday, August 4th 2010 was the President’s birthday. So I decided to find out what was happening at the new Democratic Party HQ to celebrate Barack Obama’s 49th birthday. And in classic fashion, it was pretty much business as usual.

They were conducting a phone bank.


But they had cake.


And then today I got a “thank you” note from our president. Awhile back I signed an electronic version of his birthday card. I hear it was me and about 1.2 million Americans.

If you didn’t sign the card, you didn’t get the note.

Here is what it said:

Hal --

I want to thank you for signing my birthday card.

Michelle told me that she was planning something a little different this year, and I was overwhelmed by the kind words I received from so many supporters like you.

This job has a way of offering humbling moments. And the support you have shown me, time and time again, has sustained me through any number of difficult days. It is more than any president deserves, and I could not be more grateful.

On my birthday, I spent some time considering what the year ahead will bring -- a new set of challenges and opportunities, some that we can foresee and some that we cannot.

If we continue to stand together, I know we will continue to move America forward and win these fights for change.

Thank you again for taking a moment to sign my card. As far as birthdays go, it is hard to imagine topping this one. But then again, Michelle always has a way of surprising me.

Sincerely,

Barack


No comments: