Sunday, March 06, 2011

Curing the Ills of America: Can It Be That Simple?

I have to admit, I finally found something in the argument for Texas secession to agree with.

When I read about the latest rally at the Texas capitol in favor of Texas secession I was ready to dismiss it as yet another crackpot rally by yet another crackpot group. But then I read this, and it all became clear”

“‘Texas can take better care of itself than Washington,’ said Lauren Savage, vice president of the movement. ‘We are here to raise interest in the Legislature of the possibility of secession to cure the ills of America.’”

First I’m willing to bet that the Washington that Savage was referring to is Washington DC and not Washington state.

And the reason for that bet is that Washington state is, in fact, better able to take care of itself than Texas is. The budget shortfall in Washington is a mere $4.6 billion, a pittance compared to the whopping $27 billion shortfall that is being predicted in Texas.

But the thing that drew my attention was the statement that comes at the very end: “We are here to raise interest in the Legislature of the possibility of secession to cure the ills of America.”

Darn, she really hit the nail on the head. To cure the ills of America, Texas should secede from the Union.

Now why didn’t I think of that?

No comments: