Monday, April 25, 2011

Pissing off the Norwegians

I guess you just don’t want to piss the Norwegians off.

It seems that Norway is one country in the international coalition who is flying military planes over Libya to keep Moammar Gadhafi’s army from slaughtering civilians. I didn’t even know Norway had an air force. Or bombs.

But they do, and they have F-16 fighter jets to drop laser-guided bombs.

And I heard in the news today that rather than bomb the Libyan army per the stated mission of the coalition, Norway went the mission one better and bombed Gadhafi, although I couldn’t verify it in the print media, not yet anyway. It was announced on MSNBC a short while ago.

I have only one question:

Norway? The Norwegians are dropping bombs on Gadhafi? Norwegians?

When I think of Norway and Norwegians I think of scenes like this:


Not scenes of Norwegian F-16 fighter jets dropping laser guided bombs to decapitate the leadership of a sovereign nation. No, when I think of countries that do that, I think of my own country. We’ve never been any good at it, though. In response to the 80’s Libyan participation in the Lockerbie incident, Reagan ordered Gadhafi’s compound bombed and ended up killing Gadhafi’s 3-year old daughter. That’s the country I think of doing stuff like that, the good old USA.

Certainly not Norway.

Something must have pissed off the Norwegians and they went ahead and took off the gloves. Now when I think of Norwegians I am going to have to dredge up images like this.


No comments: