Sunday, February 19, 2012

Amanda Knox Cashes In

See? I say it here it comes out there. Last year as the world was stunned to see an Italian appeals court overturn American foreign exchange student Amanda Knox’s controversial guilty verdict in a highly publicized trial, I wrote this: “But if Amanda Knox doesn’t write a book and a screenplay and become deliriously rich over this, I’ll eat my hat.”

Well I guess my hat, and my GI tract are both safe.

Amanda has a book deal.

From the Seattle Times:
“The young exchange student whose conviction in Italy and eventual acquittal on murder charges made headlines worldwide has an agreement with HarperCollins to tell her story. The 24-year-old Seattle resident, imprisoned for four years in Perugia, Italy, has not publicly discussed her ordeal beyond a brief expression of gratitude upon her release last October.”

“‘Knox will give a full and unflinching account of the events that led to her arrest in Perugia and her struggles with the complexities of the Italian judicial system,’ HarperCollins said in a statement Thursday.”

The deal? A cool $4 million. That’s a million dollars for each and every year she languished in a Perugia jail knowing that she had been railroaded by junk science, a lascivious press, and for the crime of being a pretty American girl.

Now…about that screenplay…

No comments: