Saturday, July 07, 2007

You Have GOT to See SiCKO

I don’t do movie reviews so don’t expect one here. What this is, is a chronology of what I had to go through to see Michael Moore’s new production of SiCKO. And a recommendation that you also jump through those hoops, well, hopefully fewer ones than I had.

I live in what was once aptly called DeLay Country. Aptly named, because up until last year, voters in my area were wildly enthusiastic about returning to congress every two years one of the meanest, self-aggrandizing, disingenuous, and corrupt politicians in recent memory.

So when I looked up the start times for Michael Moore’s SiCKO at my local AMC I was startled to learn that it wasn’t playing there. Nor anywhere else within 25 miles. I was amazed to discover that it was only playing in a handful of theaters, all within the confines of the City of Houston. You have to hand it to AMC, they really know their local market. Three screens to show Ratatouille, none for SiCKO.

My daughter had an unexpected day off yesterday, so we decided that we needed to make the trek to Houston. The matinee was at 3:25 so we left the house an hour before that, reasoning that we could kill the extra time some way. It had been raining off and on that afternoon, but just as we exited the door, the sky opened up and we were both drenched in a downpour.

As we drove down the street, I noted that the water piling up on each side of the road was creeping toward each other. The downpour abated and we made it to the freeway unscathed. The drive into the city was marred by only a few slow downs, traffic was light but moving slowly due to the weather. As we passed inside “the Loop” I noted that we probably wouldn’t have to worry too much about how to kill time once we got there.

There was no parking lot next to the downtown theater and the street curbs were absolutely jammed with parked cars. The adjacent parking structure pointed to a “theater entrance” so I figured they had a section for theater patrons. They did. For 3 bucks.

Ten minutes later we were in our seats. The movie started immediately. No kidding. We didn’t see one trailer.

What I will say about Michael Moore’s latest production is that Moore has done it again. His sense of timing is exquisite, and when you think he has proved his point he goes on to new heights and proves it with new authority.

Staying for the credits, you are treated to some quotes, and a recommended website that caused me to burst out laughing: http://www.hook-a-canuck.com

Go to the website and you get the gist of the point, but in order to really appreciate it, you need to see this film.

1 comment:

TexasSusan said...

Glad you took our rec, Hal.

You know how you can tell it's his best movie? Even Fahrenheit 911 was playing in Sugar Land.

I guess it's better that we not let the comfortable people, basking in the false assurance that they have insurance so they can get medical care, know the truth. The comfortable people might rise-up.