Monday, July 02, 2007

Bush Commutes Scooter Libby’s Sentence . . . Yawn

If anyone is surprised that Scooter Libby was going to have his sentence commuted, that’s because they still think that there is still fairness in this world. My prediction of today’s events, encapsulated here, was very nearly dead on.

It was probably a bone thrown to those of us with a sense of decency and fair play that Libby has to pay the $250,000 fine, but give me a break. Someone with a college nickname like “Scooter” doesn’t have to get a 2nd mortgage on his house to pay it.

There is a sense of moral outrage out there today, and I can only say ditto to those, because the words have already been said.

Want moral outrage? With feeling? Go read the commentary at Sommervell County Salon.

Justice. We need justice. I vote that every penny of that fine goes to Valerie Plame, the CIA operative whose cover was blown.

UPDATE:

I am ignorant of the law. I'm not trained in it, but I study it a lot. Tonight it was pointed out to me that had Scooter Libby received an outright pardon, as I predicted, he would be open to congressional subpoena to testify about any and all that he might know about the Valarie Plame affair.

But since his sentence was commuted, if he were to be asked to testify in any of these things, Libby would just be able to plead the 5th. This makes Libby's sentence commutation more than despicable. It's an attempt at outright stonewalling.

Stonewalling. Where have I heard that term before?

No comments: