Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Modest Proposal to Pass the Public Option for Healthcare

I just figured out how we can pass healthcare reform in the US Senate with 60 votes to bring the measure to the floor.

Stuff it in something Republicans absolutely slobber over.

The epiphany came this afternoon as I was casually reading my weekly email message from Congress.org. In it I learned, to my great surprise, that both of my US Senators voted for passage of a provision “that extends the definition of federal hate crimes to include crimes in which victims are targeted because of their sexual orientation and gender identity.”

“By Jesus H. Christ Himself,” I said to no one in particular, “now that’s progress.”

Then I looked at how both of my senators voted to “repeal the Medicare physician payment formula that results in annual cuts that Congress reverses every year.”

And to my shock and dismay (but no particular surprise) they both voted “NO.”

Voted “NO” to a provision that usually flies through congress like bacon grease through a goose.

And I sensed a disconnect. What was going on here?

Well, it turns out that anything having to do with healthcare, including this non-issue is going to get a thumbs-down from every Republican and a few “Conservicrats.”

So how do we get this first progressive measure through the Senate, one that makes it a hate crime to target our GLBT brothers and sisters for violence, and not get this second measure through – one that was a no-brainer for passage (during times past)?

Well guess what, the progressive measure that would increase the penalty for violence on a person if that violence was because of how that person self-identified sexually was buried in another bill. A bill, as it turns out, that has nothing to do with hate crimes, gay and lesbian issues, or anything close to them.

It was a Defense Department appropriations bill.

OK, I admit it, I cherry picked for effect. Here is the entire message on how my two senators voted:


Vote Agreed to (68-29, 3 Not Voting)

The Senate gave final approval to this bill authorizing defense spending, which also contains a provision that extends the definition of federal hate crimes to include crimes in which victims are targeted because of their sexual orientation and gender identity.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison voted YES

Sen. John Cornyn voted YES
Lesson learned? If we want healthcare reform anytime soon we have to stuff it into another bill that Republican senators absolutely can’t help themselves when they push the “Aye” button.

It has got to be a good one though, or I don’t think they are going to go for it. Maybe it should be in the way of a bill to declare atomic war on the Islamic Republic of Iran.

No comments: