Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Will You Walk Into My Parlour Said the Spider to the Fly

Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there."
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."

- From “The Spider and the Fly” by Mary Howitt

You know, the last time that a very popular Democratic president was asked to come to Texas, a president who despite his national popularity, had very unfavorable ratings in said state, it was none other than John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

And nothing good came of that November trip.

So it comes as no surprise that junior senator from Texas, John Cornyn is the first to offer President Obama a personal tour of Laredo. Laredo, the safest city this side of Mosul.

Quite frankly, I think Barack Obama has better things to do than to kneel to John Cornyn’s egotistical grandstanding. It makes me wonder whether Cornyn has thrown in a personal tour of Cornyn’s own hunting lease, where they will cruise around in Cadillacs with the rag tops down so they can shoot game at will. I hear that Kennedy was especially taken with that act of pure Texas culture.

No. I’m pretty sure that Barack Obama can take care of these matters at his level, in talks with Mexican President Felipe Calderon. Let’s let John Cornyn rub elbows with the Laredo locals and swap lies with the Federales. That’s his bailiwick and I’m sure he’s good at swapping lies.

And let’s let Obama do what he is good at.

Developing and communicating policy.

No comments: