Sunday, March 07, 2010

No One Would Listen

This is a book I have to read. “No One Would Listen” by Harry Markopolos. First, I really feel sorry for a guy with a name like that when he goes to a public swimming pool and the kids start playing that fun hide and seek swimming game “Marco Polo.” Poor guy. It would be hard to concentrate on anything.

But second, I feel like I know how this guy must have felt when he saw Bernie Madoff’s business pay that consistent 12% per year dividend when the market was good and when it was in the toilet. His success didn’t make sense to Markopolos and it was so clear to him that he was running a Ponzi scheme, but no one would listen to him.

And it would have gone on like that forever except for the fact that someone blew the whistle on Bernie Madoff: Bernie Madoff. When the Republican-incepted banking crisis of 2008 fully took hold, and Madoff could no longer keep up appearances, Madoff ratted himself out.

I feel like I know how this guy must have felt because I live in a Republican precinct. I am surrounded by people who will not, can not, ever, ever, ever, listen to my words of reason.

My piercing logic goes unheeded.

And my lawn signs get stolen.

And now I am reminded of a new song by that Texas singer/songwriter that performed that memorable rendering of his original song, “Pigs at the Trough” at last month’s meeting of the Fort Bend Democrats. Hank Woji has a song that he wrote about Bernie Madoff. I videoed it. I uploaded it to You Tube.

Enjoy.



By the way, if you want your own copy of Hank’s CD, you can order it online here. I got mine from Hank.

1 comment:

Fenway Fran said...

Harry was on the Daily Show last night. And thanks to you, Hal, all I could think about was: Marco....Polo!